Elevate your fashion photography with creative flat lays
Engaging imagery plays a big part in today’s hyper-competitive consumer fashion market. Using professional flat lay photography, you’ll capture the intricate details of your beautifully designed garments, and produce eye-catching images that will boost your sales.
The benefits of flat lay photography
A strong visual identity contributes to your brand visibility and awareness, and helps to create an overall brand experience that will resonate with your target audience. Put simply, professional flat lay fashion photography makes your garments stand out from the crowd, offering a different perspective on traditional model photography. The unique bird’s eye view angle perfectly captures the creases and movement of the material, and there are many options for creative expression; capture clear cut images, crisp white background images, or get creative with coloured cards and textures.
Why flat lay photography is so important for ecommerce businesses
Flat lays in fashion photography are an effective way to show your consumers how to style your products, and what you could pair particular pieces with to assist with upselling.
Clear cut flat lay images are essential to ecommerce stores because they help your products to stand out whilst giving your customers a clear idea of the product details; without any distractions. They also provide flexibility for content creation, because designers have the ability to position your garments anywhere within promotional or online web stores, to suit any background.
Providing clear cut images is also necessary to earn PR editorial features and media coverage, and it’s the best option for consistent content with quick and easy post production and upload.
How to elevate your flat lay photography
To make sure your fashion photography stands out amongst your competitors, there are a few different flat lay techniques you can try using our StyleShoots Horizontal Machine
- Establish how you want your brand to be perceived: If you’re going for a professional, organised look, arrange your garments in a linear, grid-like fashion. For a more casual approach, arrange them as if they’ve just landed that way – you can even throw them onto the table to create a more relaxed feel.
- Add colour to your backgrounds: Add a piece of coloured card or a complimentary textured fabric that will help to bring your garments to life. For example, swimwear placed on a golden, sandy beach will look more appealing than swimwear sitting on a plain, white background.
- Use props: If you want to add a bit of personality to your fashion flat lays, try using a prop that will add a contextual element to your images. Even better, use other relevant garments or products that you sell to cross promote, but make sure you don’t add in props for the sake of it, that have no connection to the shoot.
- Experiment with different styling techniques: Try grouping and stacking your garments, which are great for showcasing a collection or a range with different colour options. You can also try a more relaxed fold or scrunch look that shows the textures and makeup of different fabrics and weights.
- Always think about social media: While you’re creating your ecommerce images, take the opportunity to create engaging social media content at the same time. With the ability to export files to any number of file formats and sizes, and seamless upload, the Horizontal Machine is great for capturing social images.
The LookDepot difference
LookDepot has two professional fashion photography machines to create engaging flay lay content. The StyleShoots Horizontal Machine has built-in editing features, designed to save you hours of post production time. The innovative software and backlit glass work in harmony to clear cut your photo as soon as you tap the capture button.
The StyleShoots Eclipse Machine works well for zoom roll over shots and highly detailed product photography that you’d prefer to shoot on a crisp white ecommerce background. With incredible zoom capabilities, you can capture intricate details, textures, and features at a high-quality.
Both options have a flat lay photography setup designed to make content creation easy. The user-friendly iPad interface allows you to experiment with different camera angles, brightness settings, and lighting at the touch of a button, and the attached iPad has a live view that shows your styling in real time. No surprises, just beautiful content; efficiently.
With the world rapidly changing and brands popping up left and right, engaging brand content is more important than ever. LookDepot’s range of innovative fashion photography technology will help you create incredible content that will enhance your customer engagement, help drive traffic to your ecommerce business, and boost your sales.
Contact us to talk about your creative needs, and our experts will help you find a solution for your business.